The GP2Y0A21 Sharp distance sensor is a great way to add obstacle avoidance or motion sensing to your robot or any other project. With a detection range of 4″ to 32″ (10 cm to 80 cm) and an analog voltage indicating the distance, this sensor is very easy to use.
The Sharp distance sensors are a popular choice for many projects that require accurate distance measurements. This IR sensor is more economical than sonar rangefinders, yet it provides much better performance than other IR alternatives. Interfacing to most microcontrollers is straightforward: the single analog output can be connected to an analog-to-digital converter for taking distance measurements, or the output can be connected to a comparator for threshold detection. The detection range of this version is approximately 10 cm to 80 cm (4″ to 32″).
The GP2Y0A21 uses a 3-pin JST PH connector that works with our 3-pin JST PH cables for Sharp distance sensors (not included), as shown in the upper picture on the right.
- Measuring Detecting distance is 10 to 80 cm
- The maximum allowable Angle : > 40 °
- The power supply voltage : 4.5 to 5.5 V
- The average power consumption : 35 mA
- Peak power consumption : about 200 mA
- The frequency of updates/cycle : 25 Hz/40 ms
- Analog output noise : < 200 mV
- Less influence on the color of reflective objects, reflectivity
- Line-up of distance output/distance judgement type :
- Distance output type (analog voltage) : GP2Y0A21YK
- Distance judgement type : GP2Y0D21YK
- Judgement distance is 24cm
- Adjustable within the range of 10 to 80cm [Optionally available])
- External control circuit is unnecessary
- Low cost